First Phase, c.1220-25: Robert de Luzarches and Thomas de Cormont
After the site was surveyed and staked out, masonry work began on the foundations and lower walls in the area of the south transept and south nave aisle. An inscription on the south transept façade records that the foundation stone was laid in 1220; the image of a mason’s trowel in the west embrasure of the portal may mark the spot. The masons’ yard was just to the east. Work progressed the length of the straight bays of the cathedral aisle up to the window sill with the south aisle ahead of the north: the trilobed arches of the dado arcade remain unchanged from the west portals to the base of the hemicycle. The sculpture of the south portal of the west façade was begun with elements in a characteristic “Antique Revival” style.