The Central Steeple (le grand clocher doré), 1528-1533, as seen from the north westHeight: c.55m or c.110m from the ground
In the tip of the steeple were relics were placed: the True Cross, the Holy Sepulchre, the table of the Last Supper, the dalmatic worn by St. Thomas of Canterbury. The structure is formed of oak beams covered in lead sheets to provide protection from the weather. There are two open chambers at the base of the steeple just above the roofline where the double octagon that forms the structural frame changes into a single octagon. The lower chamber housed bells used during the services in the choir.