Carpenters: 7

Roof Section

Durand, after Viollet-le-Duc

The roof was first systematically studied by Viollet-le-Duc in the mid-19th century. His drawings were re-rendered for publication in G. Durand's Monographie.  This transverse section depicts the choir roof on the right and the nave on the left: the structure is the same...

These older sources had suggested that the entire roof had been rebuilt after a fire in 1528.  However, the timber from which the roof was built has recently been dated through the analysis of the growth rings (dendrochronology).  The choir roof appears to have been constructed in the 1290s and the nave roof in the first decade of the 1300s.