The great labyrinth, spanning 12.14m, was set in the nave pavement by Master Renaud de Cormont in 1288. The decorative pavement including the labyrinth was removed in 1827-8 and replaced with a plain stone pavement. The central octagonal plaque, stripped of the inlaid images of the three master masons and founding bishop, was preserved in the Musee de Picardie. The outcry against this vandalism was so intense that a replica of the original pavement was completed in 1894. The labyrinth invites the visitor to enter into a kind of quest for the discovery of the identity of the master builders. It also played a role in a liturgical celebration where Theseus was seen as a prototype for Christ.