Introduction to the Choir
Although the term choir is used loosely to designate the eastern end of the cathedral, it should be applied more specifically to the area where members of the chapter sat in their stalls in the two bays immediately to the east of the crossing. To the east of this is the sanctuary terminated by a seven-sided hemicycle. The principal altar with an elevated tribune or gallery for the display of the precious relic boxes directly behind stood at the center of the radial composition of the hemicycle. Overhead the keystone carries the image of the resurrected Christ. The choir is enclosed by an arcaded screen (jubé) to the west and lateral sceens (clôtures) on either side.
The term chevet (head) should be used to designate the entire east end of the cathedral including its central choir and sanctuary surrounded by double aisles, ambulatory and radiating chapels.
This early-eighteenth century plan (Plan Saint-Marc, 1727) allows you to see some of the medieval liturgical furniture, much of which was destroyed soon afterwards. This furniture belongs almost entirely to the late-fifteenth and early-sixteenth centuries. We may surmise that the original disposition of the Gothic choir, first occupied by the clergy c.1260/70, was similar, with choir stalls, principal altar and relic display.