At the center of the labyrinth
The original plaque still exists in the Musée de Picardie: what we see here is an accurate copy. The inscription was recorded in a 14th-century document which describes the labyrinth as the Maison Dedalus: the House of Daedalus.
An l'an de grace mil 2 cens et 20 fu l'euvre de cheens premierement encommenchié. Adonc yert de cheste evesquié Evrert evesques benis et roy de France Loys qui fu filz de Phelippe le Sage. Ch'il que maistre yert de l'oeuvre maistre Robert estoit nommés de Lusarches surnommés. Maistre Thomas fu apres luy de Cormont et apres ses fils maistre Regnault qui mectre fist a chest point chy ceste lectre que l'incarnation valoit 1300 ans 12 qui en faloit.
"In the year of grace 1220 was this work first begun. At that time the bishop of this diocese was Evrard, blessed bishop. And the king of France was Louis who was the son of Philip the Wise. He who was master of the work was named Master Robert and surnamed de Luzarches. Master Thomas de Cormont was after him and afterwards his son Master Renaud who had this inscription placed here in the year of incarnation 1288." Note: there is a mistake: in 1220 the king of France was Philip Augustus. Louis VIII succeeded in 1223. This mistake is particularly odd since King Philip Augustus was married in Amiens Cathedral in 1193 and Prince Louis must have spent time in Amiens during the unsuccessful campaign against England.